2 still missing at Hard Rock New Orleans Hotel site; ‘very strong possibility’ of another collapse

2 still missing at Hard Rock New Orleans Hotel site; ‘very strong possibility’ of another collapse


Two people remain missing in the wreckage of the partially collapsed Hard Rock New Orleans Hotel building in downtown New Orleans, authorities said Saturday afternoon.

A third person authorities said was missing after the disaster Saturday morning has been accounted for, the authorities said during a 3:15 p.m. press conference near the site.

A portion of the top floors of the 18-story building under construction at Canal and North Rampart streets collapsed suddenly Saturday morning, with several floors pancaking into each other and debris raining down to the street below.

One person was killed, authorities said.

“This is a marathon,” New Orleans Fire Department Superintendent Tim McConnell said of the search and rescue mission for the still-unaccounted for workers.

Drone video taken in downtown New Orleans from Brandon Knox Photography shows the extent of the damage at the construction site of the Hard Ro…

McConnell said crews working at the scene are concerned that other portions of the structure, which is unstable, might collapse. That, he said, is hampering efforts to search for the still-missing workers believed to be somewhere inside.

McConnell said a third person believed to be missing earlier showed up at an area hospital. 

McConnell said dogs will be sent inside the building to help find the missing. He said searchers have an idea where one of the workers is and think they can safely reach that location. They are still trying to determine how to safely reach the spot where they believe the second worker is located.

Nearby buildings were evacuated and officials said the building and a 270-foot construction crane still looming over the site were considered unstable.

A rescue mission is underway at the scene of the collapsed Hard Rock Hotel New Orleans Hotel, and officials are evacuating buildings in the area.

McConnell said there is a “very strong possibility” of further collapse.

It was not immediately clear how that would affect search and rescue efforts. A drone was flown over the site to help authorities assess the situation.

The building was under construction at the corner of Rampart Street and Canal Street.

Authorities say 18 people were taken to a hospital for treatment. All were considered stable and some had been released later Saturday afternoon.

As the under-construction Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans collapsed Saturday morning, vehicles and a streetcar dodged debris falling down from …

Gov. John Bel Edwards visited the scene and urged people to stay away from the area, which was still considered unstable. As dust settled following the morning collapse, twisted metal, concrete pilings and other wreckage covered part of Rampart Street.

Check back for more on this breaking story.



Source link

Author: editor

CATEGORIES
TAGS